National Day saw me watching the dumb Singapore Idol show, something I'd thought impossible.

And I was hooked thereafter.

Afterall, trying to figure out what Jacintha is trying to say takes a lot of brain power yea, and me likes such stimulating challenges.

And a good laugh of course, which is most of the time at her rather than with her.

The poor soul.

And that was how I got to know of the infamous Joakim Gomez.

The pretty face eighteen yeaar old whose singing capabilities at best are more suitable in the confines of the KTV room. I do not deny that I have cringed and laughed when I first heard him sing on that fateful day. I had even wondered what the fuck is this boy doing in the competition, at the top few, mind you. I told my sis, "If this is the quality of Singapore Idol, then hell, my almost mute dog has a fair chance of winning the damn title too."

But the more I saw Joakim perform, the more I admired his spirit. No doubt, he is no song bird. That title is reserved for Hady alone. But you really gotta be impressed by his personality, courage and spirit. We can only guess the shitload of criticisms, stress and pressure thats placed on his family and himself and this boy, despite his young age, has handled it pretty well me feels. Judge Florence Lian had said it the best of all - his humility is really worth admiring but his fans should really allow him a dignified exit from the competition.

Unfortunately he's still in the competition. Nurul got booted instead yesterday. In fact, I'd dare wager that Joakim believed it would be him, from his expression of surprise when the results were announced.

And Joakim stands to be humiliated once more by the masses. How absolutely cruel.

He may be the current laughing stock of some Singaporeans, but Joakim is very much a Singapore Idol in his own right, in all sense of the word. Remember ladies and gentlemen, that as much as the show makes it out to be a singing competition (which is a fucking irony in more ways than one), the name doesn't merely suggest that.

And though Joakim doesn't have the Voice, he sure as hell has the commendable courage and personality to boot. For how many eighteen year olds can go through constant slammings and still have the spirit to enjoy himself on stage? He is not deluded about his singing talents, which although is not horrible, ain't exactly singer material either. He knows this and humbly accepts it. He could jolly well choose to drop out of the competitions to spare himself, his friends and his family more insults but he chose to face the tornado of flames head-on for now. I find it pretty brave of him.

The spirit of pursuing what you love, the courage of not backing down when everyone goes against you and the strength to shelf his jaded-ness aside while onstage to enjoy himself (and set himself up to face criticisms from everyone else once more). Whatever the outcome, whatever the results, this boy can stand proud and tall and know that he has given it his all.

If I have the power to shape the Singapore Idol, I would take charming Jonathan's face and body, insert Hady's powerhouse vocals and pour in the whole of Joakim's sweet personality.

But until that perfect human being comes along, I'd say this:-

Joakim Gomez, regardless of what everyone slams and flames, remember this - you are an Idol already.

0 spanks on my perky butt.: