I love to read.

I enjoy getting lost in the pages of a GOOD book while I eat, shit, commute or simply laze around.

I am selective in my reading though, which isn't quite a good thing for diversity but what the hell.

But as much as I devour the art of words like a plate of warm creamy pasta, there's really one medium I'm not really a fan of - newspapers.

My mum tried to instill the habit of reading newspapers since I was young but it never really grew on me. First, there is the disgusting mark they leave on your fingers after every read. Second, its boring. Stories are pretty much the same - people dying and more people dead and more yawn-worthy current affairs stuff which is more complicated than algebra. Hey, the only current affair I am interested in is which mall is having a sale right now so I have a reason to go shopping.

Are you convinced that I'm a bimbo yet?

Anyway, as much as I am not a newspapersy fan, i do glance through them once in a while since they are conveniently lying in all corners of the house. And boy oh boy, I spotted an article which made me choke in astonishment. Newspaper stories don't usually elicit a reaction from me other than a yawn, with the exception of the comic section of course.

I hope you will enjoy this article as much as I did laughing at blatant absurdity of it.

'School Uniform Is Too Sexy'
May 25 2008
The Electric New Paper

The National Islamic Students Association of Malaysia has condemned the uniform worn by girls at government schools, saying it encouraged rape and pre-marital sex.

Association vice-president Munirah Bahari said in a statement: 'The white blouse is too transparent for girls and it becomes a source of attraction.

'It becomes a distraction to men, who are drawn to it, whether or not they like looking at it.'

Ms Munirah called for a review of uniform policy so that it did not violate Islamic ideals, reported AFP.

The statement has provoked reactions from students, teachers and even political parties.

Many feel that there is nothing wrong with the uniforms.

In Malaysia, female students at government schools have a choice of wearing a white blouse with a knee-length skirt or pinafore.

They may also wear a baju kurung and a headscarf is optional for Malaystudents.

COVER UP

Ms Munirah said that 'covering up' according to Islamic precepts was important to fend off social ills, including 'rape, sexual harassment and even pre-marital sex.'

She added: 'This leads to babies born out of wedlock and, to an extent, even prostitution.

'Decent clothes which are not revealing can prevent and protect women from any untoward situations.'

She suggested girls wear a blouse of a different colour or with an undergarment.

However, the girls themselves also came in for criticism, with the association saying that some used the white blouse to lure men.

Ms Munirah said: 'This is the source of the problem, where we can see that schoolgirls themselves are capable of using this to attract men to them.

'This could see them getting molested, having pre-marital sex and all sorts of things.'

Many disagree.

Pas (Parti Islam SeMalaysia) Youth chief Salahudin Ayub said there was no problem with the school uniforms from an Islamic perspective.

NO PROBLEM

He told the New Straits Times: 'As long as the baju kurung is tailored according to the traditional Malay interpretations of the garment and not too tightly, I don't see any problem.'

Mr Salahudin said it was unlikely that school uniforms contributed to social ills like pre-marital sex.

He added: 'Cases of rape and free sex are not caused by one or two simple factors.

'Teenagers today are exposed to all kinds of influences, including all sorts of pornographic material due the borderless nature of information today.'

Sixth form (Pri 6) student DPresana told The Star: 'Pre-marital sex has nothing to do with what girls wear to school.

'It is the couple's mentality and the spiritual guidance they receive that influence their behaviour,'

A Form Five (Pri 5) boy from a school in Penang said it was not a good idea to ask the girls to 'cover up' because it is too hot and humid in Malaysia.

He said: 'It would make them feel even more uncomfortable studying in our hot weather.

'And I have not heard of any complaint from my female schoolmates that their uniform (with the pinafore on) is transparent.'

A teacher at a girls' school said: 'She (Munirah) should carry out a study and see if our school uniform is indeed a factor that contributes to rape and pre-marital sex.'

The teacher said that at her school, it is compulsory for female students to wear a camisole under their baju kurung and only white and skin-coloured bras are allowed.

The statement has also got a negative response from other groups.

Sisters in Islam programme manager Norhayati Kaprawi said the claims that the uniforms 'encouraged rape and pre-marital sex' were baseless.

She told The Star: 'As for the white blouse being too transparent, Malay women who are in mourning wear white baju kurung. Even Umno women wear white baju kurung. So what is the issue?'

Women's Aid Organisation executive director Ivy Josiah said that instead of reviewing the uniform policy, what was needed was 'a review of misguided beliefs about women's attire'.

She added: 'Statistics and researchhas shown that all women - young, old, women clad in tudung, miniskirts, even babies in diapers - have been victims of rape and sexual assault.

'It is entirely irresponsible for anyone to suggest the idea that rape is a result of attire. Rape is not about attire, it's about power that perpetrators feel they have over their victims.'

Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Dr Ng Yen Yen declined comment.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


It is one thing to be modestly dressed and another to be absolutely PARANOID. Horny men will do anyone and anything to get their fix, from animals, to babies, to young children, to teenagers, or even the ah ma.

So if lust is a sin of mankind, why should Muslim women shoulder all the burden?




0 spanks on my perky butt.: