1) They act like they are King Of The Roads. Frequent driving on the roads has given them whole new levels of confidence perhaps to the point of arrogance for some. I have encountered many who drive like 70km/h on normal roads then brake suddenly to pick up a passenger by the roadside. No doubt passengers have to bear part of the blame for flagging at inapproprate stops, but it takes two to tango as well. Really, at the very least, the driver can give some form of indication to stop (hello, signals are there for a reason?), instead of suddenly seeing his bright red brakelights glaring in your face.
Also, some of them road hog like nobody's biz. When I was learning driving, there were two types of vehicles I steer clear of - motorcycles and taxi drivers. Motorcyclists for obvious reasons (they are vulnerable yet they think nothing of entering your blind spots) and taxi drivers because they are famous for being road bullies. I know of many times where I wanna do a lane change and taxi drivers just keep an irritating distance beside me which makes lane changing impossible. If I speed up, they speed up too. If I slow down, they do the same thing. I think they do it out of kicks to freak out learner drivers and make them pee in their pants.
Evil evil people.
2) Booking a cab when I'm out with Alex can be the ultimate test of patience sometimes (and mind you, I am an extremely patient person *flutters eyelashes*). I understand there will be human beings who are scared of dogs due to health/religion/history so I play my part by booking a taxi and informing the sweet sounding operator that I have an uncaged medium dog with me. And the next thing you know, a canine fearing taxi driver decides to take on the job and screams in terror at the sight of my furry monster.
Hello, can't you read?
And then, the Canine Fearing Illiterate Driver has to pass the job on to another driver. Which means I have to wait for another 10 minutes with patience draining fast with every passing second. Kind of beats the purpose of me BOOKING a taxi and INFORMING the operator isn't it? Note to self - never take a taxi with an animal during any kind of emergency. Animal sure die one.
And if it isn't the Canine Fearing Illiterate Driver, it will be the Canine Tolerating Nag You To Death Driver. Drivers like these will take on the job, grumble endlessly at the dog, and nag til your ear drums split open. Its a horrible death and hell, you even gotta pay for the ride.
Canine Loving Pleasant Drivers are few and far between, and these i adore when I'm out with Alex. Not only do they smile and greet you AND the dog, they will engage in friendly chats throughout the journey, talking about... well, dogs. Its an absolute joy to encounter drivers like that. They make the whole ride so lovely and enjoyable. No naggings. No grumblings. No black unhappy faces.
However, taxi drivers don't seem so bad when I'm alone, as a passenger, without my dog or behind the wheels.
Granted, I don't take cabs often when I'm alone, ever since I'd quit my job. (No money to eat liao where got money to take cab?) So unless I'm feeling sick or out til late, cabs are never an option to me.
And today, that was the only option available since it was already 1.30am and I was stuck in Cineleisure, after a karaoke session with Leonard, Louis and Weiming. We all went our seperate ways since we stayed at different parts of Singapore and after i got into the cab, i realised the shit I got myself into - I only had $20, and I doubt that was enough for the journey + night surcharge.
Jialaration.
Throughout the journey, I kept my eyes fixed on the meter and prayed that it won't jump over $20.
Yea right, fat chance.
When the meter totalled up to $22, I told the taxi driver to pull over the side of the road so i could walk back instead.
"Eh, sorry uncle. I think you drop me off here lah. I only have $20," I told him sheepishly.
He took a glance at the meter and continued driving.
"Aiyo, its ok lah," he replied. "You still gotta walk a distance leh. Besides, its late now and it's not right for a lady to be out walking at this time."
And so he drove me to my door step literally and pocketed the $20 with a smile and a good nite, with me apologising and thanking him profusely.
So sweet right?
I was pretty touched by it. Afterall, he won't be in the wrong if he'd just dropped me off in the middle of the road cos I don't have enough money to pay the fare. But he didn't. He continued and even shared a few tips on choosing faster routes to my place. Such a nice gentleman. He really made my day.
Suddenly taxi drivers seem a whole lot nicer.
So to sum it up, taxi drivers can be wonderful:
- If you are not with a medium sized furry creature.
- If you are not driving.
- If you are a young lady
Thank you Mr Nice Taxi Driver!



0 spanks on my perky butt.:
Post a Comment