Language is a funny thing.

Although we grew up with it, some never seem to be able to master it.

But there again, is it really possible to master something so … dynamic?

Language, after all to me, is never dead, never fixed.

It doesn’t have fixed formulas like science or mathematics.

Screw E=MC (square). Language, like genetics of living beings, evolves through time. With no fixed sets of formula to hold its shape, the art of language gracefully takes on the history of civilization itself, where one can trace our own roots if we look carefully at the language we speak.

In Singapore, children are taught to be bilingual in both English and Mother Tongue. Unlike many Asian countries, we do have a distinct advantage in this area, where we can understand, speak and write English and yet still maintain our Asian roots… or is it?

Now, I don’t know about Indians or Malays, but I do know one thing about the Chinese. It’s hard to find one who is effectively bilingual. Of course, I may be wrong. After all, my assumption is based on the humble population I hang out with, but I honestly doubt I am that off the track. It seems to me that you are either strong in Mandarin or powerful in English but its hard to actually meet one who is equally fluent at both.

That’s not to say there is none lah! I have met a couple of friends who are really good at both, which kinda makes me wonder how the hell they manage it. Granted, I don’t exactly have the home environment to nurture that kinda love for Mandarin (we speak and read English) but funnily enough, a lot of my best friends are mainly Chinese speaking. Perhaps this explains why I may not be so strong in Mandarin but as compared to many strictly English speaking peers, I ain’t that badly off.

Why is it so hard to juggle Mandarin and English at the same time?

Why is it deemed to be ‘cool’ to not speak Mandarin?

“I totally cannot read or write Mandarin!” says one.

“My Chinese got F9.” says another.

华语 cool!” says the government.

It’s funny isn’t it? You don’t see ads with Taufik Batisah urging people to speak Malay, and going “Melayu cool!”

It’s a waste really. We have the perfect opportunity, the perfect language advantage, yet few ever reap fully from it. Some children even need sub standard Chinese in order to pass the class. How sad is that?

But hey, who am I to yakkity yak? Not when my Mandarin is often a source of entertainment for family and friends, where they’ll laugh AT me and not WITH me. >.<

No problemo, I’ll re-learn Mandarin. Slowly.

It’ll most likely never surpass my proficiency in English who is still my true love after all.

But through the smiles, through the laughter, I will learn as friends and family graciously and generously guide me through this Oriental garden.

People sharing, learning, speaking, writing. Maybe that’s what a language is all about after all.

我不会令大家失望!  (I hope!)

0 spanks on my perky butt.: